Township Fire Department Station #3
Battlelion Chief: Dave Kleist
5333 W Cameron St
Emergency - 834-1253
Burning Permits - 834-6868
The Town of Union Fire Station was organized in 1955 with a roster of 40 members. The “station” was located in Ken Freitag’s garage 3015 Truax Blvd. A 1943 Chevy was the first fire engine in Union and was purchased in 1956. Two years later the “station” moved to Lawrence Bushendorf’s garage 1710 N. Clairemont Ave. (now NAPA Auto). Our present station is located at 2222 W Cameron St on property donated by Kermit and June Walker in 1958. This building was ready for use less than a year later in 1959.
New and more equipment resulted in overcrowding of the station. In 1982, two additional equipment bays and a meeting room were added. Construction was done by the volunteer firefighters, so the only cost to the tax payers was the materials.
Twenty years later (2002) the capacity of the station was again exceeded and an additional storage unit was built which houses the dive rescue trailer and boat. We have again exceeded the capacity of our present location and a new station is in the planning stages.
Union Firefighters of course have Fundraisers: aluminum can drives, and in the winter, contracting with the Town of Union for “brushing road-right-of ways”. Basically, we recycle some of Union’s taxes for more fire and rescue equipment for Station #3. Items purchased include radios, wildland firefighting gear, vehicle extrication and other specialized rescue equipment.
Today, station 3 has a roster of 35 firefighters. In addition to basic fire fighting techniques, many fire fighters receive emergency medical training (First Responder) and training in Specialized Rescue techniques. Our apparatus inventory includes one engine, one tanker, one rescue truck/mini pumper, one brush truck and a dive/swift water rescue equipment trailer and boat. Three Defibrillators (two defibrillators donated by Norma and Jim Severson, and one donated by the Dumond & Alf Family’s and the Town of Union Fire Fighters) are our newest pieces of equipment.
The eastern and northern portions of Union are not only urbanized, but also industrial and bordered by State & Federal highways resulting in numerous responses. In 2004, we responded to 111 calls for service in the Town of Union.